It’s getting a little chilly here in North Dakota, so I have been leaning towards heartier recipes lately and tonight’s dinner was no exception! Chicken breasts dipped in honey mustard and topped with corn flakes? I feel warm already!
Tonight’s dinner took about 50 minutes from start to finish, and that included a 15 minute break to do the dishes so I would have a clean pan to use!
I started by grating the zucchinis. I used four small zucchinis and got about two cups of zucchini from these–great for the proportions used in this recipe! I will, however, double the recipe next time as these fritters went FAST in my house! And I anticipate they will make great lunch leftovers, which is always a plus.
After grating I added the Parmesan, flour, salt, pepper, and chili flakes to the bowl of zucchini and set aside.
For the chicken I started with three large chicken breasts. I cut each breast into half and pounded them fairly thin so I had six good-sized pieces of chicken to work with. Then I created by dipping mixture: honey mustard, salt, pepper, fresh dill, and green onions. I poured one cup of cornflakes on a plate and started dipping and coating my chicken. After three pieces, I was out of cornflakes so I added about one cup more.
Now it was time to start cooking! I threw the chicken in the preheated oven and heated a large pan over medium-high heat. I cooked the zucchini mixture in two tablespoon “drops” that I flattened with a spoon for 2-3 minutes per side, or until light brown. This took two rounds and made 9 zucchini fritters.
Twenty minutes later, my daughter and I were sitting down to this:
Not bad for a Thursday night! It’s been a couple of hours and I’m still full! While the chicken was something I’ve made before, the zucchini fritters were new to our house and I love them! My husband, not so much. (With my daughter it’s hard to tell, she’s not much of a night time eater). Oh well–sometimes you please and sometimes you feed. While I aim to do both, it can’t always happen!
4 small zucchinis, grated (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tsp olive oil
2/3 cup honey mustard
2 tsp fresh dill, chopped
2 medium green onions, finely sliced
2 cups cornflake crumbs
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into half and pounded thin
1) Preheat oven to 425. Coat a shallow pan with cooking spray.
2) Squeeze the zucchinis in a dish towel to remove excess water, then combine with the Parmesan cheese, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
3) In a small bowl, combine the honey mustard, salt, pepper, dill and scallions.
4) Place 2 cups of crushed cornflakes on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
5) Dip chicken into dressing mixture and then cornflake crumbs. Place coated chicken in prepared pan.
6) Once all the chicken is coated, throw pan in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes, or until cornflakes are golden and the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
7) Heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
8) Add 2 tablespoons of zucchini mixture to create each “fritter.” Flatten the mixture as you put it in the pan. Cook four to five fritters at time for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
9) Serve chicken and zucchini fritters immediately!