Oh. My. Goodness.
I may have found one of the best food combinations I never knew existed tonight. And it all started with my favorite type of Mexican food: enchiladas. Why enchiladas aren’t everyone’s favorite type of Mexican food I will never know. I mean, what isn’t delicious when wrapped in a tortilla and topped with sauce
Back to tonight’s meal. The ingredients are pretty basic: oil, canned tomatoes and green chilies, chicken, tortillas, and cheese. Yum… cheese.
First, I added the canned tomatoes and green chilies and simmered them together for a few minutes.
After taking 1/3 cup of the simmered tomatoes and chilies and adding them to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, I added hot sauce and cream cheese to the already delicious goodness to make it even more delicious. Once the cream cheese was melted, I had something that looked like this:
Now it was time to add chicken and stuff those tortillas! I filled each corn tortilla with about 1/4 cup of filling. I was able to fill about 13 tortillas.
Look good? You haven’t seen anything yet!
After cooking these bad boys that were topped with reserved sauce and crumbled cheese, I topped the final product with some fresh tomatoes, green onions, and blue cheese. The final product looked magical.
These enchiladas tasted magical too. I think they were a little too spicy for my daughter, but my black lab really enjoyed licking the leftovers! (Not with permission). And when my husband gets home, I’m sure he’ll love these too because they are spicy. And anything spicy is a winner in his book.
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe retrieved from She Wears Many Hats.
2 tablespoons olive oil
14.5 ounce canned petite diced tomatoes, drained
8 ounces canned tomato sauce
4 ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 cup hot sauce (I used Tapatio)
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
2 cups cooked, diced chicken
12-15 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
*Optional Garnish: sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, crumbled blue cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350.
3) Coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch oven-safe baking dish with about 1/3 cup of the tomato/green chili sauce–just enough to lightly coat the bottom.
4) Stir hot sauce and cream cheese into tomato/green chili mixture until cream cheese is incorporated. Reserve 1/3 cup of the sauce.
5) Add chicken, stir to combine. Keep warm over low heat.
6) Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and warm in microwave for 40-50 seconds, flipping halfway through.
7) Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Gently roll the tortilla to close and place in baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
8) Top with reserved 1/3 cup sauce (plus remaining chicken mixture, if any) and shredded cheese
9) Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
10) Serve warm and garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, and/or crumbled blue cheese if you desire.