In anticipation of starting this blog, I’ve found myself making more time consuming recipes. This week, I tried to get back to my basics: quick and healthy(ish). This skillet meal was definitely more on the -ish side of healthy, but it was quick and tasted delicious! It was wonderful leftover, too!
Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with Asparagus
Recipe retrieved from The Food Charlatan.
2-3 chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded to create thin cutlets
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 pound of proscuitto
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 cup basil pesto
1/3 cup half and half
Crusty bread for serving (I found Ciabatta to be perfect for this)
1) Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, the sprinkle with salt and pepper; go easy on the salt since prosciutto is naturally salty.
2) Lightly coat the chicken with flour.
3) Wrap each piece of chicken with a piece of prosciutto.
4) In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. When it is hot, add the wrapped chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until browned the chicken is cooked through.
5) Meanwhile, whisk together the pesto and half and half.
6) When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from pan and keep warm. 7) If needed, place an additional splash of olive oil into the already heated pan. Toss in the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
8) Once the asparagus is cooked to your liking, add the chicken back to the pan. Pour the cream and pesto mixture over the chicken and asparagus. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat.
9) Serve with crusty bread.