This soup is my husband’s favorite meal to have for lunches. Like the Taco Casserole I made earlier this week, I’ll make this at the beginning of the week for him to bring to work each day. This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prep and one hour to simmer.
One of the reasons I love this soup? All the fresh veggies!
It starts with all the soup basics: carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Once that gets going, add some vegetable broth, some fresh tomatoes, and a couple cans of beans. Then, about 20 minutes before you finish cooking, add some kale, yellow squash, and cilantro. and BAM! You have a delicious, healthy soup that even your husband will love!
Now, that’s a hearty lunch!
Skinny Detox Soup
Recipe retrieved from Skinny Mom.
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups baby carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
7 cups organic vegetable broth
2 large tomatoes, diced
15 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can Pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch kale, finely chopped
2 small yellow squash, diced
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1) Warm olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion, simmer for 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic and simmer for 3 more minutes
3) Add the broth, tomatoes, white beans and pinto beans and simmer for 40 minutes.
4) Add kale, zucchini, and cilantro and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
5) Season with salt and pepper before serving.