Why is it that all the most complicated things have to reap the biggest rewards? This is the question I was asking myself as I made this delicious broccoli casserole tonight. I don’t know if I’ve ever used so many dishes when making a vegetable before, but man was the end result ever worth it!
Just start with some steamed broccoli and carrots and mix in some sauteed onions and garlic. Then top that mixture off with heavy cream, nutmeg, and a panko/Parmesan cheese “crust.” Divine!
I paired these cheesy vegetables with my favorite honey BBQ wings for a perfect weeknight dinner!
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
Adapted from Diethood.
2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
3 carrots cut into one-inch rounds
1 yellow onion, finely diced
4-5 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cut shredded parmesan cheese, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup heaving whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
2) Steam broccoli and carrots for approximately 5 minutes, or until tender.
3) Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately one minute. Stir in flour until thoroughly combined. Remove from heat.
4) Mix the steamed broccoli and carrots with the sauteed onion and garlic in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to a the prepared baking dish.
5) In a small bowl, combine heavy cream and nutmeg; mix until combined. Pour over the broccoli mixture.
6) In another bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 parmesan cheese with the panko crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the broccoli.
7) Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
8) Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.