I first made these scrumptious, sauce covered burritos about 3 weeks after my daughter. I was still on the “I will get skinny immediately” bandwagon (I abandoned that notion approximately three weeks later), and these were a healthy meal I could make to satisfy my Mexican food cravings (I continued to eat like a pregnant person for about a year after I gave birth. That’s normal… right?)!
Sometimes I pair these with homemade Mexican rice and some seasoned black beans, but usually I serve these as a meal on their own!I always use this enchilada sauce.
Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
Adapted from The Garden Grazer
3 cups homemade enchilada sauce
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
8 oz fresh baby spinach
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 cups shredded cheese, divided
8-10 large flour tortillas
1) Saute the spinach in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
2) In a large bowl, combine the black beans, 1 cup cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, cumin and cilantro.
3) Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of sauce to coat the bottom.
4) Fill the tortillas with mixture, about 1/3 cup per tortillas. Roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
5) Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly.
6) Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions.