The other night my husband wanted to make Eggplant Parmesan and, since it was a Sunday, I decided it would be a good time to try out a homemade marinara sauce recipe (because, as I’ve said, weekends are a great time to try out time consuming recipes!). Well, this homemade marinara sauce did not disappoint. It took about 5-10 minutes of prep along with 50 minutes of simmering. The second time I made this recipe (only one week later) I prepped it and threw it in the crockpot on low for 3 hours. So, this recipe truly is a win, win, win (easy, delicious, healthy).
I dare you to use this marinara sauce the next time you reach for jarred. You won’t be disappointed!
Homemade Marinara Sauce
Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
8-10 garlic cloves, finely minced
4-6 fresh basil leaves, slivered
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup red wine*
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
*the red wine is optional, yet highly recommended
1) In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium high heat. Once warm, add the onion and garlic and cook until brown, or for about 3 minutes.
2) Once the garlic and onion have browned, add the basil.
3) Pour in crushed tomatoes with their juices, sugar, and red wine into the large saucepan. Bring to a boil and then add salt.
4) Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes (or transfer the sauce to a crockpot on low for 2-4 hours).
5) About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar.
6) Use just like you would jarred marinara sauce, but enjoy it much, much more 🙂