Last week our dishwasher broke. Since that time I have learned two things:
- Doing dishes by hand isn’t really that hard
- I never want to not have a dishwasher
Apparently it will take another week until our new one comes in and maintenance can install it… sigh. On the upside, I was able to hand wash tonight’s dishes while dinner was in the oven. If you’re a frequenter of my blog then you might have caught on that’s pretty important to me. I really hate leaving my kitchen dirty and full of dishes, so some of my favorite meals are my favorite because I can set the table with a clean kitchen behind me.
Anyways, back to tonight’s meal! I have been really lazy lately and skipping many of my planned cooked meals, so I’ve been trying to keep dinner simple this week. I’ve also been eating far too much sugar and baked goods lately, so I’ve been trying to keep it dinner relatively healthy as well so I can lose these extra sugar pounds before vacation (which is over Halloween weekend, so I am really just trying to lose these sugar pounds so I can gain them all back in one weekend). It’s also been getting colder here in ND so I’ve been in the mood comfort food (mmm…. pasta!). Entertwo of my favorite things: Spinach Artichoke Dip and Spagehtti Squash.
Ok. Let’s be real. Spaghetti Squash is not really one of my favorite things. But if I can mix it with spinach artichoke dip (or really any kind of pasta sauce), I am one happy camper. The original recipe suggested cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave, but I have this weird thing against microwaves so I roasted mine instead, adding about 20 minutes to the total time. All in all, dinner took about an hour from start to finish. That included washing all of the dishes by hand and stalling to wait for my husband to come home from work to a hot meal (but I got tired of waiting).
If you like Spinach Artichoke dip as much as I do, check out this recipe! It has a bit of cheese in it, but since you aren’t using pasta or bread it all evens out, right? RIGHT!!?! I knew you’d be on my side 🙂
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell
2 smallish spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
3/4 cup low far cream cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
8 oz spinach
2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 handful finely shredded mozzarella cheese
a dash of cayenne pepper (optional, but recommended)
1) Preheat the oven to 400F
2) Brush the inner flesh of the spaghetti squash with oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast, flesh side down, for 30-35 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before handling.
3) While the spaghetti squash is cooking, heat the oil in a medium pan over high heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 6-7 minutes.
4) Once the onion has started browning, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant or about 30 seconds
5) Add in the Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
6) Add in the chopped artichoke hearts and spinach. Cook until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
7) Fluff the inside of the spaghetti squash and add 1/4 of the mixture into each half. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and some mozzarella cheese.
8) Place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese has browned.
9) Enjoy 🙂