First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR! I am trying to get my new year off to a good start, but not because it’s the start of a new year, but the start of a new SEMESTER!! Being a teacher, each time I get a “long” break I have time to rejuvenate and think about how I’m going to get my sh*t back together. In the fall I started with make ahead meals and breakfast sandwiches and that lasted until early October before I started resorting on yogurt and peanut butter for breakfast and eating tons of take out for lunch and dinner. I’m hoping I can make it through mid-march this semester. *Fingers crossed*
So yesterday, I went actual grocery shopping (instead of just “what do we need to survive for 48 hours” grocery shopping) and I made my favorite make ahead Egg McMuffins. They taste just like McDonalds, only BETTER!!
I start out with a 12-cup shallow muffin pan, sometimes referred to as a “muffin top pan”. They look like this.
This kind of pan ensures that my eggs are approximately the same size as my english muffin AND they don’t come out super thick. I crack an organic brown egg into each “muffin” space, pork it with a fork so the yolk spreads a bit, and top each of them with salt and pepper. Then I stick them in the oven on 350* for about 8 minutes, which leaves my eggs a little undercooked ensuring that they don’t get too chewy when I microwave them later.
While the eggs are cooking, I cut three pre-sliced piece of square cheese into quarters (I prefer extra sharp) and cut and toast all of my Original Thomas English Muffins (I’ve tried a few variations of english muffins, but these see to reheat the best after freezing). I also prepare my canadian bacon, ham, or turkey to put on the sandwiches (I prefer canadian bacon, but sometimes I completely forget to buy some and just add whatever deli meat I have on hand, or leave it out the meat entirely).
When the eggs are hot out of the oven, I quickly put the cheese on top of each egg so they melt a little before I put them in the freezer. I let the eggs cool down for 5-10 minutes, and then start layering my muffins! Muffin, meat, egg/cheese combo, muffin. I wrap each muffin in saran wrap, throw the 11 muffins in a gallon sized freezer bag (I always eat one right when it’s made, I just can’t resist!), and stick them in the freezer.
In the morning, I wrap the muffin in a paper towel (sans saran wrap) and pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds. And VOILA! I have a healthier version of the famous Egg McMuffin I’m always seeing on TV (this one is offered all day as well!).
Make Ahead Egg McMuffins
Recipe Adapted from The Suburban Soapbox
12 eggs (I prefer brown organic)
salt/pepper to taste
12 Thomas Original English Muffins
12 slices meat of choice (optional)
3 slices square cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
1) Preheat oven to 350*
2) Spray a 12-cup shallow muffin pan with cooking spray and crack one egg in each space. Poke each egg with a fork to allow yolk to spread. Top each egg with salt and pepper to taste. Place in heated oven for approximately 8 minutes (closer to 10 minutes if you would like a firmer egg).
3) While eggs are cooking, cut cheese into quarters and split and toast english muffins.
4) Once you remove your eggs, immediately place a quarter of cheese on each of the eggs and allow to melt and cool for 5-10 minutes.
5) Once the eggs are ready to handle, begin assembling your sandwiches! Muffin, meat, egg/cheese, muffin. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and place all the muffins in a freezer bag.
6) When you are ready to eat your muffin, remove freezer and remove saran wrap. Wrap in a paper towel and microwave for approximately 90 seconds (depending on your microwave).
7) ENJOY 🙂