Have you ever made zoodles before? If you haven’t because you’ve been intimated, don’t be! As long as you have the right tools (preferably a spiralizer, which can be found on Amazon for as little as $9.99!), they are prepped in a matter of minutes. I do recommend, however, letting them sit in a colander with some salt sprinkled on top for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) in order to draw out some of the water and make the zoodles a little more crispy.
The possibilities with zoodles are ENDLESS! My favorite, other than tonight’s meal, has been zoodles with skinny shrimp scampi. Such a great way to soak up all that lemon/wine juice…. yum!
Ok, now to be a little more on topic. Tonight I tried out this wonderful one-pot chicken teriyaki zoodle dish from Life Made Sweeter and it is a winner! Most of the ingredients used for the teriyaki sauce are pantry staples, which makes this quick and easy to whip together. Just add zucchini and chicken 🙂 This whole meal took about 2 hours, but that includes 90 minutes of sitting zucchini and 20 minutes of marinating chicken. You could definitely cut it down to 45 minutes max with minimal marinating and zucchini sitting.
Chicken Teriyaki with Zoodles
Recipe adapted from Life Made Sweeter
One pound chicken tenderloins
1/2 cup freshly cut pineapple
5 medium zucchinis, spiralized
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Gourmet Garden ginger paste
2 tablespoons corn starch
salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste
1) Place spiralized zucchini in colander on top of a folded paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30+ minutes.
2) In a medium bowl whisk together the water, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, ginger paste, corn starch, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
3) Place tenderloins into large bowl and pour sauce on top. Let marinate for 15-30 minutes
4) Heat pan over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Once heated, use tongs to add chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes one one side, or until lightly browned. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on other side.
5) Once chicken is browned, add the pineapple chunks and let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until soft.
6) Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove chicken from pan and add zoodles. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated and covered in sauce.
7) Combine the chicken and pineapple with the zoodles. Serve and enjoy 🙂